Understanding Wisdom

This semester has been a whirlwind, and honestly I can’t believe it’s November. Where has the time gone?!? Even though this year has gone by quickly there has been a statement that has been popped up a few times, “Make sure to use wisdom in the situation”. The other version I have been hearing as well is, “It sounds like you have been using wisdom in the situation”. I know as christians we often hear those two phrases or something closely parallel to them, but what exactly is “wisdom”? Dictionary.com defines wisdom as “the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight”. However, I am still scratching my head when I read this definition, so I took time to look up what God has to say about wisdom. 

As I used my study Bible to do my research I realized that the Bible has a lot to say about wisdom. Proverbs 3:13 says, “Happy is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gains understanding”. Then a few verses later, in verse 15, it states “[wisdom] is more precious than rubies, and all the things you may desire cannot compare to her.” The psalmist does continue on for several more lines about how wisdom is “the tree of life” (vs 18) “paths of peace” (vs 17), and how the Lord founded the earth on wisdom (vs 19). As I read this I was astonished by how the psalmist described wisdom. I noticed that every time the psalmist spoke about wisdom they described it as a person. I realized that once I replaced every her or she with the word wisdom and read it out loud, that I could gain a better idea of what wisdom is. 

We need wisdom to navigate through this life
As I continued searching I noticed that every time I came across the word wisdom the words knowledge and understanding were right behind it. Proverbs 4:5-7 is a prime example of how understanding goes with wisdom. Verse 5 exclaims “Get Wisdom! Get Understanding!” To me these two words together paint a picture to seek others for help in understanding a situation. Proverbs 11:14 reads, “Where there is no counsel, the people fail; But in the multitude of counselors there is safety”. Reading these words remind me that without taking information that we know and talking it out with others, we only rely on our own knowledge and wisdom. Proverbs 12:15 emphasizes this notion as well, “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but he who heeds counsel is wise.” Talking with others helps you to make a decision that accommodates your values and beliefs, rather than listening to what society says is right. Talking with someone who has been in you position as well can give you more insight to how there experience went, and what to expect yourself. Their words help to shape your decision. However, if we don’t have the needed counsel there is a person and a place we can turn to. James, Jesus’s half-brother wrote, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given unto him” (James 1:5). That no matter the circumstance we can turn to Gods Word for the guidance that we need, and we will find what we were looking for, which is what happened when I sat down with this word. 


After all this research I was in awe of the term wisdom. It was through His word that I found the answers that I needed in order to understand this term. He showed me that in my current situation I need to not only look to those around me, but also look toward Him. You may be thinking, yes I always hear that, but how many times do you actually do it? Speaking personally, I can say I don’t do it enough. God used so many great people to write a 66 book love story to help us through this life. He doesn't want us to rely on our own power, or rely solely on the power of others because man will fail us (Psalm 118:8). So I want to challenge you in this month of celebrating your friends and family to spend time with your Creator, and take time to consult the Bible of a matter or word that is plaguing your heart. You will never know until you ask.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stretching Endlessly

Falling into His Grace

God Is.....