Fighting the Battle with Prayer

Photo taken by me!

February 14th is the pronounced date for lovers to shower their spouse in the finest flowers, chocolates, and foods. February 14th is also the day that many singles spend wishing and thinking “what if”. Some singles begin to possibly wish they were still in a previous relationship, even if it was a bad one. Others wish that they had someone special in their life to share this romantic day with. For many, it is hard to see couples walking around on this particular day because it becomes a reminder of what they don’t have. However, there is one thing we can do during this single season, pray for our future spouse.

The Lord states in Jeremiah 29:12, “Then you will call on me and go and pray to me, and I will listen to you (NKJV)”. Prayer is key to talking to God. We use prayer to ask for a variety of things, but how often do we use prayer to pray for our future spouse? Ever since I was about sixteen years old I began to understand the importance of praying for the man I will one day marry. I don’t know who he is, but I can ask God to take care of him till the day we meet. In the book Praying for Your Future Husband: Preparing Your Heart for His Robin Jones Gunn and Tricia Goyer address praying for your future husband wholly and completely, not just for his physical attributes. They spend time explaining how we can pray that he is a God lover, resembles the fruit of the spirit, and who he is as a person. In addition, the authors also tell their stories of how they met their spouses, and how their prayers were answered in more ways than one. What I like about this book is that the concepts they teach on aren’t just for women to do, but also for men. Men can pray that their future wife is a Godly woman, carries the fruits of the spirit, and represents the attributes of a Proverbs 31 woman.

I have yet to see my prayers come to pass, but I know that my prayers are being heard because of what 1 John 5:15 states, “And if we know that he hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we asked of Him (NKJV)”. Take comfort in that. I know it isn’t easy waiting and praying. There are times we are going to want to rush into the next available relationship that presents itself. We become impatient, anxious, and left out. The questions begin to surface of if you will ever find love, and you may begin to feel lonely. That is normal. We are human, and are all seeking to be loved. When those times arise, I want to encourage you to pray for your future spouse. Pray for their heart as well as your own. Ask God that he would help shape you into the man or woman that he has called you to be.

Nevertheless, for all of those that may be single this Valentine’s Day, don’t lose hope. Romans 8:25 expresses, “But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance (NKJV)”. Keep moving forward and be who God has called you to be. Chose to chase after the dreams that God has placed inside you. Allow Him to take you on crazy once in a lifetime adventures. At the right time the right person will come along, even if it is hard to believe right now.


I want to leave a final note for any married couples that may be reading this article. I have learned from my parents, as well as many married couples, that one of the best things that you can do for your spouse is to pray for them. You and your spouse have been pledged to each other for better or worse before God, your friends, and family. Marriage presents many ups and downs, and I have seen how prayer helps many couples face the most impossible situations together. So, I want to encourage you to pray with and for your husband or wife. Also, make this a Valentine’s Day a day to remember for you and your spouse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stretching Endlessly

Falling into His Grace

God Is.....